David Tennant Virgin Media Magazine Interview


Virgin Media Magazine recently caught up with David Tennant for an exclusive chat:

A few things you may not know about David Tennant: he's named after a Pet Shop Boy. He claims to have auditioned for Taggart 26 times. He's been voted Sexiest Man In The Universe (beating Brad Pitt and David Beckham). And he's The Proclaimers' self-declared greatest ever fan.
We grilled the artist formely known as David McDonald on his career so far...

Is it true you chose 'Tennant' as a stage name after Neil Tennant from the Pet Shop Boys?
Yes sort of, I picked the name out a magazine he was in. (Smash Hits)

Have you met him since?
No - I believe he's aware of the connection, but I've no idea how he feels about it!

We've seen video evidnece of you meeting your heroes: how did you end up singing with The Proclaimers at the wrap party for Doctor Who?
They were on a radio show with me. They were very game. It was Jennie Fava who worked on Doctor Who and got the camera out to snatch the opportunity.

What's the best advice you've ever been given?
"Remember you're not as nice as you like to think you are!"

What would people be surprised to know about you?
I'm not very surprising. Is that surprising?

Which actors inspired you when you were starting out?
Mark Rylance, Derek Jacobi, Anthony Hopkins, they still do.

Are there any roles you regret turning down?
Do you know, I don't think there are!

What do stage and radio roles offer you that TV doesn't?
I think it's all about variety. Different parts, different ways of playing those parts. I have been very lucky to get to dabble in all sorts.

Who have you enjoyed working with the most?
That question could get me in to trouble. I think I'll draw a veil...

What television shows do you follow religiously?
10 O'Clock Live and I'm currently going through the US version of The Office from the start.

You've played a few characters with out of this world abilities: what super power would you most like to have and why?
Invisibility. No contest. Think of what you could uncover...

When were you happiest?
I'm alway happy!

You're famous for improvising - including on BBC One's True Love - isn't it just the stress of live performance without the benefit of audience reaction?
No - Dominic Savage, who directed it, created a very safe and controlled environment which allowed you try stuff. There was very little fear in the end because you knew that he wasn't going to stitch you up.

What do you think is the secret to a successful acting career?
If I knew that I would open a drama school!

What one gadget couldn't you live without?
An iPod and an iPad. Predictable but essential.

You've had people pretend to be you on social networks. Do you deliberately avoid things like Twitter?
Yes, it seems that you can't stop people pretending to be you online, so all I can do is let everyone know it is never me. I don't feel like I'm missing out as the whole world of social networking doesn't really appeal to me, but perhaps one day I'll have to give in to it. It won't be soon though!

You've played everything from a Time Lord to the world's most legendary lover - what would you like to tackle next?
A good script and good people to work with - that's always the dream!

David Tennant is the face of Virgin Media Collections. Find out more at www.virginmedia.com/collections

Comments