David Tennant: So Warm And Charming Says Olivia Colman



Olivia Colman has spoken fondly of working with co-star David Tennant on the hit ITV drama series Broadchurch. She and David play feuding police detectives in the series: she stars as the generous, warm-hearted and emotional DS Ellie Miller, while David plays her boss, the rude and detached DI Alec Hardy. However, she tells the Sunday People that in spite of their onscreen friction, they struck up a great friendship off set.


She said, “We all got on so well and enjoyed going to work even though it was a miserable subject matter. We all adored each other. David Tennant is gorgeous. He is so jolly and happy and witty.”

She also said that they used to laugh about him playing the miserable Hardy who was quite a contrast to the real David.
“It was a big delight. We had a giggle being mean to each other. He is so warm and charming and having to play someone who is so socially inept was hilarious.
“We would all go to the pub and out for dinner. It was like a big family.”




Olivia has enjoyed some sensational roles recently, including performances in Twenty Twelve, Tyrannosaur and The Iron Lady. She claims her success in landing good parts in films and on TV is because she does not mind snubbing glamour to look just ordinary.

She said: “I feel fortunate that I'm not a beauty. I'm not a classic beauty. I feel it is harder for girls who are like that. There are fewer parts. For some reason people imagine that dramatic things happen to people who don’t look beautiful.
“ I'm not a pin-up, thankfully. I'm not suggesting I feel unconfident. I am beautiful to my husband. I am beautiful to my friends. I feel sexy and all those things with the people I love.”


Broadchurch follows the impact on a small seaside town following the murder of an eleven year old boy, but is more than a simple whodunit. As the scrutiny by the police and press increases, relationships within the community start to unravel and dark secrets start to emerge. The series continues on ITV at 9pm on Monday 25th March.




Comments