Russell Tovey On Being Tipped To Replace David Tennant In The TARDIS


Russell Tovey has revealed that he was recommended for the role of the Eleventh Doctor in Doctor Who. The role went to Matt Smith obviously, but apparently Russell T Davies tipped Tovey for the part and was keen for him to be David Tennant's replacement in the TARDIS.

He tells The Independent:
“Russell texted me to say, ‘Look, I’ve said this quote about how you should be the next Doctor Who, so if it goes a bit crazy …’ And I was, ‘Oh, that’s fine …’, and then suddenly it just went everywhere: people messaging me from my childhood and lots of remarks like, ‘His ears are too big for the TARDIS, they’ll be flapping about.’ People were starting to get really personal.”

But Tovey says he has no regrets about not landing the high profile role and adds:
“It would have terrified me, I don’t know what I would have done with all the attention.”

Read the full interview with Russell Tovey here.

Comments