OUT TODAY - David Tennant Talks To His Younger Self For The Big Issue: "Acting...You're Still Getting Away With It"



The new edition of The Big Issue magazine is out today nationally in the UK, and includes a new interview with David Tennant. David spoke to writer Jane Graham exclusively for the regular feature 'Letter To My Younger Self'.

A few extracts have already appeared online. David discusses how he would talk to his 16-year old self about his early plans to be an actor, saying: 
"I didn’t know any actors. And people all around me were going, quite rightly, this is a daft idea. You won’t make a living. It was sound and proper advice. But a little part of the teenage me thought they might be wrong. It would be nice to go back to him now and tell him, you’re in your mid-40s now, and you’re still getting away with it. Though I still don’t know how much longer that’ll last."

He adds, "I knew I definitely wanted to go to drama school. I think I got my first acting job at 16. Or even 15, an anti-smoking ad. Then I did an episode of Dramarama. We went to the Isle of Skye for four days, and I stayed in a hotel on my own for the first time. I was old enough not to need a chaperone. I was my own boss. It felt like a glimpse into adulthood."


The award-winning magazine The Big Issue was founded in 1991 as a social business with the aim of helping rough sleepers to earn an income by becoming street vendors. The magazine has now expanded to four continents and vendors are individuals experiencing a range of social problems associated with poverty and marginalisation including, but not exclusively, homelessness. In the UK there are around 1500 vendors, each acting as a micro-entrepreneur, selling the magazine to over 350,000 customers. For this reason it is important that each customer buys the magazine from a registered vendor and makes sure that they take their copy, supporting the mission to dismantle poverty through self-help and the promotion of sustainable social enterprise.

Although the interview is likely to appear on The Big Issue's website, we would encourage our readers, if they are able, to support the principals of the enterprise and buy a physical copy of the magazine.

If you are unable to find a vendor or live overseas you can buy a copy here

Look out for The Big Issue magazine, on sale from your local vendor every week. David's interview is in this week's issue, dated February 19-25.




Comments